Friday, January 27, 2012

Willing Spirits (Phyllis Schieber)

I picked up Willing Spirits by Phyllis Schieber when I saw it for sale in the Bargain Books section at Chapters.  I'd never really heard of Schieber, but Jodi Picoult gave her words of praise on the front cover, so I decided to try it. 

The book was about the friendship between two teachers, Jane and Gwen.  Jane discovers her husband with another woman, so Jane goes to her longtime friend, Gwen, for help.  Gwen's husband left her and now she is romantically involved with a married man. 

I've been thinking about my blog lately, thinking that I've never really given a book a "bad" review.  I'm the kind of person who, even though Phyllis Schieber will likely never read this, I will feel bad if I give it a bad review.

I will say that not much happened in the book.  You get snapshots into the lives of Gwen and Jane, but the story focuses mainly on relationships and friendships, with very little other plot.  I went quite a few nights there without opening the book before bed, showing that I really wasn't completely into this book.  I will also add that maybe I am too young to fully appreciate the friendship that is described in the novel. 

I may have just chosen the wrong Phyllis Schieber novel to try - she does have a few other novels that look promising.  This novel probably won't be on my list of recommendations.  (Sorry, y'all...)

No comments:

Post a Comment