Wednesday, April 22, 2015

We Were Liars (E. Lockart)

"We Were Liars" by E. Lockhart was a very interesting read. 

The writing style was different than other books I would typically read and to be honest, it took me a while to get used to the writing.  Sentences are short.  Or broken up.  Into many parts.  Or divided onto different lines.  I'm not sure of the purpose for writing in this style other than to make us stop and think for a bit or to have us try to put ourselves more in the mind of  the main character and what her thought processes may be like.

In an effort to not give you any spoilers, I don't want to share too much about the book, except the fact that I didn't really understand everything that was going on until the end.  The story finished nicely when all of the pieces fit together and the reader finally understands what has happened.  All of the weird things that happen throughout the book kind of make sense once you figure out the big ending of the story.

I would recommend this book - and despite the length of time it took me to read it, I would say that it's a quick read! 


On another note, I don't think that this book truly fits in anywhere on my 2015 Reading Challenge.  But the next one I read will!

My 2015 Reading List Update

  • A popular author's first book
  • A book that was originally written in a different language
  • A book written by an author with your same initials
  • A memoir - Some Girls: My Life in a Harem (Jillian Lauren)
  • A funny book
  • A book with a colour in the title
  • A book you own but have never read
  • A book with a one-word title
  • A book written by someone under 30
  • A book you can finish in a day
  • A book with non-human characters
  • A book set during Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment