Saturday, January 31, 2015

Some Girls: My Life in a Harem (Jillian Lauren)

I've finished my first book of 2015 - which also fits into my 2015 Reading List!

I started reading "Some Girls: My Life in a Harem" because it was recommended by my mom. It's the story of a girl who moves from a difficult situation in the United States into a quite different situation in Singapore.  She is promised a large sum of money if she moves across the world to attend parties for Prince Jefri.  The ladies fight over his time and attention during their stays in Brunei.  She's treated fairly well, has caught the prince's eye, and receives quite the perks with this 'employment.'

Although the title and overall idea of the book may discourage some people from picking it up, I enjoyed Jillian's story.  Despite this book sounding like a "deep" content book, it was easy to read and wasn't a depressing tale of a girl's life-gone-bad. It was an interesting read and provided quite a different view than the reality that we see in North America.

I would recommend this book for those who like non-fiction books and for those who enjoy stories about people who live different and interesting lives.  It was definitely a book I would recommend to others! 


My 2015 Reading List Update
  • A popular author's first book
  • A book that was originally written in a different language
  • A book written by an author with your same initials
  • A memoir - Some Girls: My Life in a Harem (Jillian Lauren)
  • A funny book
  • A book with a colour in the title
  • A book you own but have never read
  • A book with a one-word title
  • A book written by someone under 30
  • A book you can finish in a day
  • A book with non-human characters
  • A book set during Christmas


No comments:

Post a Comment