Sunday, March 25, 2012

The Hunger Games - The Movie

Because of how much I hate being in crowded places, I had intended to go to see "The Hunger Games" movie in a few weeks, once the crazy lineups had died down.  However, stuff happens and I decided to brave it out last night.  We showed up at 8:00 p.m. for a 9:15 p.m. movie and, after waiting in line for almost an hour, we got prime seats!  (Go us!  We were teasing that we should have dressed up and brought my copies of the book, but we're not that hardcore.)

I thought the movie was amazing and that it stayed true to the book.  There were some parts that I think would be a bit easier to understand after having read the book (like, for example, how they determine how many times your name gets put into the draw), but all in all, it was a good movie and I found they did a good job with the characters and the story.  Obviously, being the Hollywood film that it is, you don't need to have read the book first.  Personally, I think it helped.  

It was exciting, it had my shoulders tensed up part way through (even though I knew what was going to happen), the music really helped to make you feel various emotions, the costumes were great, and I thought the acting was good.

My mom told me of one bad review that's still sitting right front and center in my mind, where the guy said that he thought they were playing it "safe" in the movie.  I found that they had just enough "gore" and that how they showed the "excitement" (if you want to call it that) in The Hunger Games was tastefully done.  It could have made people feel uncomfortable if there was more to see visually, and, like I heard a young fan on Canada AM say one morning this past week, "It was done in a way that you knew what was happening."  You know someone is dying.  You didn't have to see it all, but you could feel it and it still hit home. 

I'm excited for Catching Fire now.  And I kind of want to re-read the books.

No comments:

Post a Comment