Sunday, January 13, 2013

The Twilight Before Christmas (Christine Feehan)

The Twilight Before Christmas was another novel recommended by a friend.  It's the second book in the Drake Sister series by Christine Feehan.  I read the first book, Magic in the Wind, this past summer and didn't mind it, so I thought I would give this one a try as well. (I'm a little late in posting this since I finished it in December 2012, but better late than never!)

For those who don't know, this Drake Sister series is about seven sisters who have special witchcraft powers - one sister may be able to help heal someone who is ill and another can use her abilities to calm someone down.  The Twilight Before Christmas is focused on the love story of Kate Drake and Matt.  He has always had a thing for her and she has always thought that they were two people who were too different to be together.  As they are trying to figure out these differences between them, they unlock a 'cloud' with some evil behind it.  This 'spirit' is out to ruin Christmas for the community and the Drake sisters need to figure out what is going on and how they can use their powers for good and stop it.

It took me a lot longer to get through this book than it did to get through the first one in the series.  I was reading it on my eReader and, again, mostly during lunch breaks.  I wasn't as interested in the relationships being formed between Kate and Matt or in the story behind the "magic" in this book. 

It wasn't necessary to have read the first book in the series to understand what was happening in the second.  The same characters are involved, so the knowledge from book one can help you with the relationships between the characters, but the storyline is independent of the first book.

I remember being told that "The first book is ok.  It gets a lot better the more books you read in the series!"  I may put these back on the shelf for a bit and try the third book eventually, once I have read a few books that are on my "to-read" list! 

Would I recommend it?  Well... I liked the first book better than this one.  If you're looking for a very easy to read love story, try the first novel in the series before reading this one.  The overall writing reminds me of a slightly more adult version of Twilight.  You can make the call once you see her writing style and meet the chracters. 

"My imagination provides a wonderful adventure without the risk or the discomfort." (Christine Feehan, The Twilight Before Christmas)

No comments:

Post a Comment