Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Beautiful Disaster (Jamie McGuire)

I received a text message one day from my friend and all it said was, "You need to read Beautiful Disaster ASAP."  It took a couple months for the library to order the book once I requested it, but I have now successfully received and read the book!

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire is focused around one main character, Abby (aka Pigeon).  She has moved away to school with her best friend, America.  Through America, Abby is introduced to Travis, a bad boy that she can't quite stay away from.  The book follows their year together as they try to figure out what it is about their relationship or friendship that is so complicated.

I'm not sure what to say about this book - I guess I was expecting a lot since it came highly recommended.  I did find myself glued to the book.  On Sunday, I spent the majority of my afternoon and evening reading since I just couldn't put it down. 

I enjoyed how there was so much detail about every event that occurs in the book.  Their relationship is explored, but it's more than some books - there is more of the conversations they have and the thoughts behind their actions.  Instead of just saying that they went out for dinner, there is lots of description about what happens while they are out.

In terms of writing, I wouldn't say that it's a literary masterpiece.  You could often predict what would happen in the book (or maybe it was just me wishing that what I wanted to happen would actually happen) and there isn't much thinking behind what you're reading. 

I would classify it as an easy to read, young adult fiction book.  It definitely wouldn't be a book for everybody, but this week, when I have had so much going on, I found it was a great distraction and was just what I needed.

If you enjoyed Twilight-type books, you will likely enjoy this one.  (Plus, judge the book by the cover - that's an amazing image, right?)

No comments:

Post a Comment